Sunday, October 21, 2012

Let's be spontaneous!





On Friday AM, after a very difficult Crew practice I decided I needed to escape. I needed to get away from this bubble. I decided on going to Boston for two reasons. First check up on my mom who has been sick (she still needs to have surgery) and secondly get away from all the crew drama, specifically involving the Head of the Charles, which for the second year in a row I was not chosen to row in. I am specifically bummed since I have worked so hard, and have made major improvements. Also I am embarrassed, all my friends were chosen but I wasn't (only child syndrome). The moment I got back from Crew practice I texted Marianna if she would like to join me. She was all for it. 



Lucky for us, our friend Belle was driving into the city also. We hopped into her car and we were off. 



When we arrived to the city, we walked around Newbury Street. We walked the streets with all of our luggage. Our luck it started to rain. After doing some retail shopping, I dropped Marianna off at a Starbucks and was off to Exhale. 




One of the things I really wanted to do in Boston was to go to Exhale for a yoga class or spa treatment. I decided on yoga, since it was cheaper and would give me a better stretch. The teacher asked me if I needed to work on anything in particular, and I said that since I am a rower I am always tight in my hips and shoulders. He asked me the question that I have gotten this whole season (whenever I tell someone I row) oh are you racing this weekend in HOCR? I felt like such a failure, so I lied and said I was. Whoops! He didn't let it go. In front of the whole class he told them I was racing, then mentioned the race throughout the whole class. At the end of class they even applauded for me. Why did I lie? I'm ashamed! I have been rowing for 5 years, and I have always dreamed of going to the head of the Charles, since Boston is my home town and this is a big event. One goal for the yoga class was to come to peace with being who I am here and now. Maybe it's not the second varsity boat, but to be here and now and peaceful with whichever boat it may be. I think I achieved this to some extent, but again not all problems are solved in an hour and a half yoga class. 






After Yoga, we met my mom and went out to a yummy dinner. On our to dinner, we were listening to some Michael Bublé, my mother insisted I change the music to Jessie J? and then to Shakira's "Hips don't lie".







After dinner out we went to my moms house. It's always weird for me to go back to my mom's house. It's where I grew up, but since my parent's divorce it doesn't feel like the same place. I also haven't really lived there since freshman year in high school. I always love looking in my closet to see what outfits I have there. I decided to give Marianna a little fashion show.







The next day (Saturday) Marianna and I headed out for our big day on the town. We went to the Museum of Science. We walked around and then attended the Electricity Show. Wow. If only all classes at college could be like that. Short and to the point. Also designed for five year olds. 















Getting tired from screaming babies, Marianna and I decided to hit up Newbury Street again. We went to Georgetown Cupcakes. Walked through the Prudential. Before we knew it, it was time for our bus to depart. 






This was a much needed break from everything happening here. I loved having Marianna with me. Throughout the whole trip we both tested our Bostonian roots (aka seeing who knew which train to take, where places were located etc). We laughed extremely hard at the smallest things that happened. Spent way to much money (maybe I was more guilty for this). Overall we had a great time (well I speak for myself at least). In the end it was great to be spontaneous and find some peace with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment