Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tufts 10K Race Recap

Another race in the books! I have been having such a great time in Boston on fall break. I will try and  write a recap about the break later on, but for now I will be blogging about the 10K while it is still semi fresh in my mind.

I have wanted to the run the Tufts 10K, even before I started running. I always heard friends talking about it as the "10K race" to do in Boston. This year I decided to sign up. I needed another race after Zooma Half Marathon. Zooma reminded me how much I missed races. Kirsten was planning on also running, however she ended up not running because it was too hard for her to get into Boston.


The race started at noon, which is the latest any race I have participated in started. I took Cocoa out for a walk that AM and it was pretty chilly. I decided to not bring my Nathan water bottle, because I didn't think it would be too hot. Well it got warm very quickly!



I headed over to the commons to meet up with some Luna Chix.



I had started running with them this past summer, but ended up working during that time every week so I could't continue to run with them. When I went back to school I continued to follow their group. Many of the Luna Chix team I have met through the blog/social media world. They inspired me to start running and to start blogging. It's always great to see them.





The race was HUGE. Well larger then my last two races... not as large as my other races. Still I was in shock that I was finally running this race. We headed over to the start. Standing there waiting to start the sun was blaring down on me and I was really really warm. This was going to be a hot race.






Up to the starting line I was debating how I was going to run this race. I really wanted a PR, and thought a PR could happen. However I am still treating a minor injury. I just decided to let whatever happen, happen! I also had a new Gym Boss which allows me to track my intervals while running.. It's awesome!


The horn went off and we crossed the starting line. Yay! Here we go. We started off on Beacon street the exact route I did over the summer! Like old times. I was feeling great. I didn't realize until 4 minutes in that my Gym Boss wasn't on. Oy. I was on pace for the most part, maybe even starting out a little too fast. We hit the first mile mark and I could tell this was going to be a hot race as we crossed over the bridge. It was a clear, gorgeous day in Boston. Crossing the bridge, we could see all the runners making the loop. It was incredible view to see so many runners. It always remind me how grateful I am to be part of such an amazing community!


At mile 2, we hit the first turn around. It was such an awesome experience being on a course that I had run before in so many of my training runs. I had never done the exact run, but will consider doing it the next time I am in Boston! We ran towards the BU boat house. At this point we hit the 3 miler mark and course was still extremely crowded. I found myself doing more swerving, almost as much as I had to do at Disney. I also noticed my Garmin was off. It was at 3.05 when we hit the 3 mile mark. I was confused... What was happening?



Heading over the bridge again we ran onto Comm ave, the same final miles of the BAA 10K. At around the 5 miler, I thought I saw my friend Janelle spectating and awkwardly ran past this woman and said "Janelle". Well it wasn't her. As we hit the final stretch I was hoping to get my average split under 11 min/mile, well I got to 11:02. Right as I crossed the finish I noticed my watch said 1:09 something and said I had ran 6.32 miles. Oh the number games! I had the same feeling I had at Zooma, I doubted if I even had a PR and if I did not by very much. It wasn't a PR :( I missed it by 8 seconds. I went into the race with a minor injury and had to swerve the course more then any of my other races, all reasons why maybe a PR just wasn't possible that day. I am disappointed, however I am happy with myself for completing another 10K.

After I crossed the finish line I caught up with the rest of the Luna team, many of whom had accomplished PR's (CONGRATS LADIES).  Once we were all together, we headed over to Fajita Rita's for some Mexican food. I got to sit next to some of my blog inspirations and friends who I had met through social media! What a treat?! I ordered a yummy "Cape Tini" and not realizing what I light weight I am after running was tipsy within a couple of sips. It was great chatting about running, blogging, life and everything else in between. After a yummy meal and great conversation, I headed home.

In all honesty, this race didn't feel as great as my first 10K. I just mentally wanted that PR, but also knew that I couldn't push it. When I started running last fall, I promised myself one thing; "Don't beat yourself up about times and compare yourself to others like you did in Crew". Although I try not to compare myself to others, sometimes it's hard not to. I recently read a great blog post, by another blog inspiration, I am a Runner. Period.  Since reading this I have tried to catch myself calling myself a slow runner and if I need to say something, saying the truth; I run between an 11-12 min/mile. I am runner. With my running anniversary slowly approaching, I am shock in how much I have accomplished. Not every race is going to be a PR, I just have to keep reminding myself that.

Splits:
Mile 1- 11:13 min/mile
Mile 2- 11:22 min/mile
Mile 3- 11:01 min/mile
Mile 4- 11:25 min/mile
Mile 5- 10:56 min/mile
Mile 6- 10:30 min/mile
(.32 miles)- average 10:23 min/mile

TOTAL: 6.32 miles / 1:09:46 (average 11:02)
OFFICIAL RESULTS: 6.2 miles/ 1:09:42 (average 11:13min/mile)



No comments:

Post a Comment