Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More Magazine / Fitness Magazine Women's Half-Marathon

Read about my adventures from the rest of the trip here!

Sunday… RACE DAY. I woke up at 6am and it was the first time ever the idea of not going to the race crossed my mind. As quickly as it came into my mind it disappeared. I got up, got dressed, grabbed a power bar and headed to Central Park. Walking out the door I knew it would be a warm day. I got to Central Park and waited for Ev. We met up and went into the park to check bags. I didn't know what to expect from this race. I knew Disney was for fun and slow (since the humidity is BLAHHH), NYC Half was a PR opportunity (but I didn't tell anyone going in since I didn't want to quinx it) but this race I had no idea how to run it. My head wasn't in it. In a way I was running it to be there with Ev as she ran her first half and as a bonus get another half under my belt. Anyways, we checked bags and searched for Hoda Kotb who was hosting the race.






Before we knew it we were lining up to start. Ev and and I decided to go at our own paces. I didn't want to slow her down. As we approached the starting line Hoda was cheering us on. I managed to scream my head off and get a selfie with her. Did I mention that I ADORE Hoda?!? What a great way to start the race. After crossing the starting line I tweeted the photo and started texting it to people, aka not focusing on what the hell I was doing and my head wasn't in the game. Finally I put my phone away and focused on what I was doing, you know running a half marathon.






















The first few miles were ok, I was getting warm and knew it was going to be a hot race. Still Central Park was gorgeous with flowers blooming. The mile markers were confusing, some were on the ground and my Garmina started later, so the whole race I really had no idea what mile I was at. The first loop around Central Park I was focusing on/observing where hills were and how to tackle them the second time around. We even saw Deena pass us who ended up winning the race (she was on her second loop).




















In the second half of the race I found myself texting and tweeting some more. It actually helped. Miles 6-9 went by quickly. Miles 9-13 on the other hand…. I was losing my energy quickly. I don't think I started out too fast, maybe it was doing those hills a second time around. There are pros and cons to doing two loops around Central Park. The pro, you know what to expect that second time around. The con, the hills on exhausted legs are PAINFUL!




















Finally the end was near. I started seeing people with medals and capes. The spectators cheering us on the whole way were awesome. I was a little more than half way through mile 12, I got a text from Ev that she had finished. I hurried my bum up to meet her. Crossing the finish line was GREAT. I managed to jump, god only knows where that energy came from. Crossing the finish line is a bizarre feeling. You are so relieved to be done. Especially after the final miles where you are just EXHAUSTED and are ready to be done! At the same time as you cross the finish line I always find myself in shock of what I have just done and become energized.



While I was sipping on water at the finish line, someone tapped me on my back. A woman told me how I got her through the race. I asked her how so. She told me she tried to keep up with me the whole race (I'm pretty slow). She explained that the sign on my back kept her going and that me and Lisa inspired her. I told her the story behind me wearing the sign and who Lisa was. It was a moment that got me. This race wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park…. But knowing that someone read my sign and thought of Lisa that day and was inspired by her made it worth it.

I found Evelyn and gave her a big hug. I am so proud of her. It feels like just yesterday she was telling me that she was ready to sign up for a half, after running her longest distance (to that date) 6 miles. We sat and talked about how it went. She made a comment that I always think about during races but always forget right after: how emotional races are. They really are. Watching people running together, alone, running for a cause, seeing people find family along the course and then watching people finish is extremely emotional.

Evelyn and I took a quick photo and walked through the park along the course cheering people on. We were planning on going to lunch, however I had to go to midtown and she needed to get back uptown. We went our separate ways. I continued to walk the rest of the course cheering people on. This was one of the highlights of my day. I gave people high fives and hugs, telling them how incredible they were. If I didn't have somewhere to go I would have run or walked some of them in. It's really emotional.





















Exiting the park I walked to Times Square got tickets for a show to see with Miss E that afternoon. Then I went back to the house, showered and ate lunch. Miss E and I went to see Cinderella that afternoon. It was so much fun taking her to the theater, especially seeing such a magical show with her. I love this kid so much and spending time with her always makes me smile. After the show we were going to meet up with someone I know in the cast, but the stage door was flooded with Carly Rae fans.. EEK!

We headed downtown and went out to dinner. Once we got back I crashed. Literally fell asleep on the ground while watching Mad Men. I was exhausted

Official Results: 2:37.42 min (12:03min/mile average pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment