Friday, December 13, 2013

Running for a Cure: NYC Half Marathon 2014

Wow. I am speechless. After writing my gratitude list yesterday afternoon, I checked my NYRR profile to see if I had been chosen for the NYC Half 2014. I was surprised when I saw the green alert telling me I  was accepted! I was overwhelmed with joy and gratitude. This was one of my favorite races last year! I am so excited to be going back. I immediately called Evelyn who also had signed up. When she told me she hadn't made it, an enormous amount of guilt hit me. I felt guilty getting to run in this race again. I learned quickly that I am very lucky to have gotten in again.



Last year I raised money for MS in honor of my aunt. I'm not going to lie and say raising $1,500 was a walk in the park. It was pretty difficult. However, crossing the finish line at the half marathon, knowing I had not only run 13.1 miles but had also raised $1,500 for research and had spread awareness about  MS, made crossing the finish line even more powerful.

Originally I hadn't planned on running for a charity again this year. If I got an entry, I got an entry. If I didn't get an entry, I would find another race. When I got an entry, I was elated. However, deep down I knew I wanted to give back. I realized that the reason this race was so powerful last year was because of the money and awareness I had raised for a charity very important to me.

I debated going back to raise money for MS. I also looked into a couple of other charities. I came upon the American Cancer Society. Cancer is something that has affected so many family members and friends of mine. I was shocked to learn that 1/3 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Earlier this morning I signed up to run with them. Truth be told, since I already have a spot in the NYC Half, I don't have to raise as much money as I did last year. However, I have all confidence that I can raise at least half of what I raised last year, if not more.

Please support me this year as I run the NYC Half Marathon on behalf of the American Cancer Society, so we can celebrate more birthdays and be in a world where we can finally find a cure for cancer.

TO DONATE: CLICK HERE

Crossing the finish line at last years NYC Half Marathon


No comments:

Post a Comment